Stinging Insect Allergy Treatment in California, Oregon & Washington
Stinging Insect Allergy: What are my treatment options?
Many people can find it surprising just how serious a normal bite or sting from an insect can be for some. Stinging insect allergy reactions can range from mild to moderate to severe to downright deadly in certain cases. However, knowing the differences between the signs and symptoms of a normal reaction and a severe one can save time, energy and stress.
Normal Reaction or Allergic Reaction?
Most people are not allergic to insect bites and are safe just washing the area and applying a topical product. However, there are still some normal reactions that can occur. A sting can lead to redness, swelling and pain directly in the area of the sting.
A large local reaction will tend to produce these same reactions on a larger scale. For example, a person stung or bitten on the arm can experience swelling, redness and pain in the entire arm. However, this is often no more serious than a regular reaction and goes away in about the same amount of time. An actual stinging insect allergy can produce symptoms such as:
- Swelling of the face, mouth and tongue
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Rapid heartbeat
- Hives around and beyond the sting site
- Anxiety and confusion
These are symptoms of a severe stinging insect allergy. These need immediate treatment. If you are ever bitten by a bee or insect and experience the above-mentioned symptoms, you need to seek treatment as soon as possible.
Learn About Your Options
Many of our stinging insect allergy patients never want to have to experience the reaction again. If you want to keep these severe reactions from occurring in the first place, come see us at Columbia Asthma & Allergy Clinic at any one of our many locations throughout Washington, Oregon, and California. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!